Saturday, August 8, 2009

Should we be happy with technology in our learning environments?

I was reading Ian Jukes's blog, The Committed Sardine (August 8 posting). Hmmm...it made me think about past & present forms of technology that I have been exposed to within the last three decades in a school setting. 

I remember:
  • The copier(???) that we as students found joy in volunteering to cranked out copies.(NOW:multifunction electronic xeroxing machine). 
  • The abacus we used to learn how to add & subtract.(NOW:cell phone, calculator or computer)
  • The filmstrip projectors that we loved to turn. (NOW:LCD projector)
  • The big beautiful handheld golden bell that rung to inform all of dismissal. (NOW:Intercom system)
  • The record player that we loved to pack up. (NOW:computer, boombox, MP3 player, iPods)
  • The $.30 vending machine that we had to pull the handle to guarantee your receipt of the snack. (NOW:digital push button machines)
  • The classroom messenger job in place to relay messages to varies staff in the school. (NOW:email, texting, and/or video-conferencing).
Wow, what strives we have made! Checkout the clip below:


 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXStPqhLmIk&feature=player_embedded  

Please share...
  1. Do we take technology in schools for granted?
  2. Should we be happy that we have access to various forms of technology that enhance learning and classroom management? 
  3. Are students happy with the level of technology use in your classroom, lab, or school?
  4. Please make comparisons of the past & present which explain how the development of technology has improved current learning environments.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think technology in schools is taken for granted...I do think that there is a lot that we need to learn and change very fast in order to keep up with the "real" world.

    ReplyDelete